- Case Studies
- The British Association of Urological Surgeons (BAUS)
The British Association of Urological Surgeons (BAUS)
The British Association of Urological Surgeons exists to promote the highest standards of practice in urology. Their website was outdated and slow and having been impressed with our work on their surgical outcomes reports, BAUS decided to task us with the redevelopment of their members and patients website.
To analyse the previous website via online surveys, interactive workshops and analytic data. To produce a technical specification including detailed wireframes and design concepts. To develop and deploy a new responsive website with many advanced features and to transfer existing content from the old website.
How We Helped
The project had two phases – a consultancy and design phase, and a development and deployment phase. During the first phase we used analytic data and feedback from the BAUS membership to produce a set of wireframes and suggested improvements. After an interactive workshop on these, the wireframes were refined and detailed design concepts produced. The site carries a professional look and feel and a focus on usability and a focus on the content. There is very little design ‘fluff’, resulting in a very clean look. As most of the visits to the site are patients looking for information, there was greater focus on achieving an easy to use patients’ section. We worked with BAUS throughout the development phase of the project to tailor the resulting site specifically to their needs. The final website has numerous features that will ensure it is the best portal it could be for their patients and members:
- Features from other modules can be pulled in to homepage
- Intuitive ‘mega menu’ style navigation
- Simple + easy to use content editor that looks exactly the same in edit mode as it does when published
- Multi-level permission model tailored to BAUS needs
- Glossary that can auto-link words in specific sections to their meaning
- Interactive graphical surgical outcomes data section with the ability to stage the data for member viewing
- Member search facility and public profile editor. Profiles are sent for approval before going live if necessary.
- Integration with internal membership system
- Filterable events calendar with year, month, week and day views
- Filterable news listings
- Media gallery allowing collections of images, videos and documents to be uploaded
- Electronic voting module allowing administrators to set up votes for members or specific groups of users to vote on
- Integration with 2 journals for members only – BJUI and JCU
- Virtual museum including interactive timeline
- Personalised members area homepage, with “My contacts” and optional external news feeds
- Private moderated members discussion forum
- Editable, user-defined form creation
- Gallery module, allowing image galleries to be added to site content anywhere
- Integration with payment providers allowing for membership payments and other payments to be made
- Mobile and tablet friendly
The final deployed website was described by the client as “a triumph” – it is much faster, clearer and easier to navigate. It has been a pleasure working with BAUS and as the site evolves with new additions over time we look forward to working with them again.
To see the new BAUS website, visit www.baus.org.uk
To see our testimonial from BAUS, click here
← Read other case studies